Home 9 Churches 9 Ellingham

St Maurice - Ellingham

Ellingham seems to have been a settlement since early medieval times and there is ample evidence of medieval farming methods in the surrounding fields. It is probable that there was a church on this hill before the Norman conquest.

In the early 12th century Nicholas de Grenville, Baron of Ellingham gifted the church and land surrounding it to the monks of Durham Cathedral. (this deed is preserved in the Treasury of Durham Cathedral). After his death his elder sister bequeathed the surrounding lands, including Saint Mary’s wood this wood later became known as St Maurice’s wood. Nearby was the Chapel of Saint Mary, which existed in 1333, but of which there is now no trace nor is there any trace of the wood which was cut down in the 17th century.

At Preston there is a Pele Tower constructed in the 1390s and the Haggerston family of Ellingham Hall were prominent Roman Catholics who sheltered Catholic priests within secret tunnels and chambers during the persecutions of the Reformation The Hall and the Church were rebuilt a number of times in the last millennium with only few remnants of medieval times remaining here in this building.

The present ecclesiastical parish encompasses North Charlton , Chathill, Doxford, Ellingham, & Preston together with many acres of agricultural and rough land. The Church welcomes visitors and is open every day of the year.

Grade Listing:Grade II
Century / Year:19th Century
Opening Hours:Dawn - Dusk
Churchyard Churchyard
Full Wheelchair Access Wheelchair Access (Full)
Partial Wheelchair Access Wheelchair Access (Partial)
Toilet Toilet
Accessible Toilet Accessible Toilet
Public Transport Public Transport
Ramp Ramp

For the latest service times, please visit: A Church Near You website